These Graveyard Dirt Cups are a delicious sweet treat, loved by kids — and perfect for Halloween! I take a slightly untraditional twist, with the same chocolate base used in my healthy dirt cup recipe. It’s delicious and chocolatey, but higher in protein!This healthy dirt cup recipe is made with my Greek chocolate yogurt as the base – no added sugar and high in protein!
Graveyard dirt cups are a fun and festive Halloween dirt cup. Full of all the childhood nostalgia, but with a little fun and festive flair for Halloween.
Looking for more Halloween recipes? Check out this Halloween Puppy Chow, Halloween Pizzas, Monster Muffins and more!
Why This Recipe is SO Good:
- This childhood treat brings so much nostalgia!
- No cooking required
- Made in less than 10 minutes
- Simple, with just a handful of ingredients
- Higher in protein and lower in sugar than the traditional recipe
- It’s delicious!
- Totally kid-approved!
For a full ingredient list with quantities, please check out the recipe card at the bottom of this post!
- Greek Yogurt: you can use a traditional chocolate pudding and cool whip base, but I’m using the Greek chocolate yogurt I use in my healthy dirt cup base (no added sugar, sweet, chocolatey, and high protein — and my kids love it!).
- Cocoa Powder: whisk into the yogurt to create a rich, chocolate Greek yogurt, perfect for this healthy dirt cup base.
- Chocolate Sandwich Cookies: You can use traditional Oreo cookies here, or look for options more nutrient-dense or suitable for different dietary lifestyles. Try these Simple Mills Cocoa Cashew Crème Sandwich Cookies or Catalina Crunch Chocolate Vanilla Keto Sandwich Cookies.
- Gummy Worms: I’m all about balance, and with only a couple gummy worms used in each dirt cup, you can just use regular gummy worms (like these Albanese gummy worms). But for alternatives, try these Black Forest gummy worms made with real fruit juice, or these low sugar, low calorie Smart Sweets gummy worms.
- Milano Cookies: these cookies, topped with some melted chocolate to write “RIP,” are the perfect shape to turn into tombstones for graveyard dirt cups.
For complete instructions, please check out the recipe card at the bottom of this post!
- Make the chocolate Greek yogurt base.
- Crush cookies.
- Pipe the letters “RIP” onto Milano cookies with melted chocolate for the tombstones.
- Keep whisking the yogurt until it’s very smooth – you don’t want any cocoa clumps!
- If you’re using unsweetened or plain yogurt, add 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract and sweeten to taste.
- Make adjustments for your dietary lifestyle. You can use a plant-based Greek-style “yogurt” in lieu of Greek yogurt, gluten-free cookies, or low carb/ high protein sandwich cookie alternatives.
- Make them festive for special occasions! I love these Graveyard Dirt Cups for Halloween!
- Use a sandwich bag to pipe the “RIP” letters. Place the melted chocolate in the bag, snip the corner, then pipe the letters on the cookie.
These healthy dirt cups can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days. Please note, though, that the cookie crumbs will soften against the yogurt the longer that they stay uneaten.
If you’re going to make ahead, I highly recommend making the yogurt base ahead of time, crushing the cookie pieces, and then keeping all parts separate until you’re ready to eat – then assemble.
Supplies You’ll Need
As an Amazon affiliate, I may earn a small amount from qualifying affiliate purchases at no cost to you.
- Small whisk – this helps smoothly combine the cocoa into the yogurt
- Meat mallet – for crushing cookie pieces!
More Healthy*ish Treat Recipes You’ll Love
- Healthy Dirt Cups
- Greek Chocolate Yogurt
- Ninja Creami Protein Ice Cream
- 3-Ingredient Peanut Butter Oatmeal Balls
- Acai Ice Cream (high protein!)
- Chia and Flax Seed Pudding
More Halloween Treats You’ll Enjoy
- Halloween Puppy Chow
- Halloween Oreo Cheesecake Brownies
- Halloween S’mores
- Monster Muffins
- Halloween Pizzas
HUNGRY FOR MORE? If you tried this recipes, try leaving a star rating in the recipe card below and/ or a review in the comments! I always appreciate feedback (and everyone loves to read what variations worked well if you tried any)! You can also follow me on Pinterest or Instagram, check out my other sites, and sign up for my email list, too!
Graveyard Dirt Cups
- 1 cup Greek yogurt vanilla, nonfat, zero added sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder Dutch-processed, if possible
- 4 chocolate sandwich cookies
- 2 Milano cookies
- 1 tbsp chocolate chips
- 4 gummy worms
- miscellaneous candy pumpkins, sprinkles, or other edible Halloween decorations
- Combine Greek yogurt and cocoa in a small bowl and whisk together until smooth.1 cup Greek yogurt, 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- Place sandwich cookies in a sandwich bag, seal, and then smash with the meat mallet to fully crush the cookies until they resemble dirt.4 chocolate sandwich cookies
- Melt chocolate chips. Place melted chips in a sandwich bag, snip the corner off (just a tiny triangle), and then carefully use the chocolate to write the letters "RIP" on top of the Milano cookies to create the tombstones.1 tbsp chocolate chips, 2 Milano cookies
- Assemble dirt cups by placing the yogurt base in the bottom and topping with dirt crumb. Insert the tombstone cookie, then garnish with gummy worms and candy pumpkins/ any other decorations. Serve immediately and enjoy!4 gummy worms, miscellaneous candy pumpkins, sprinkles, or other edible Halloween decorations