This Mummy Garlic Bread makes the absolute cutest Halloween Garlic Bread! A simple and delicious side that’s a fun and festive accompaniment to a chili or spaghetti dinner before a night of trick or treating!
I’ve got to be honest – I never used to be that into Halloween. And then I had kids. They are fully on board going all-in on celebrating every single holiday, no matter how big or small. And it’s so fun to help make that magic for them!
Thus, this Halloween food series was born! And these little mummy garlic bread slices are so cute (and SO dang good!). Halloween garlic bread makes an ideal accompaniment to a slow cooker chili or simple spaghetti dinner before a night of trick or treating. Or make them to bring to your neighborhood Halloween party!
Why This Halloween Garlic Bread Recipe is SO Good:
- All you need is 6 ingredients.
- It takes 20 minutes.
- Fun to make (let the kids help!)
- They’re adorable
- It’s delicious! I mean, can you ever go wrong with garlic bread?
For a full ingredient list with quantities, please check out the recipe card at the bottom of this post!
- Bread: You need a loaf of French or Italian bread
- Butter: Necessary for any good loaf of garlic bread – you’re going to need a whole stick.
- Garlic: Again, necessary! You can use jarred garlic (or jarlic) if that’s what you have or prefer, or mince fresh. Oh, and I have measurements in the directions but garlic is 100% one of those “measure with your heart” ingredients.
- Parsley: Adds a little bright freshness to the garlic butter, plus a pretty pop of color.
- String Cheese & Black Olives: Definitely not a traditional ingredient, but this is what transforms this from an everyday, delicious garlic bread to Mummy Garlic Bread for Halloween!
How to Make Mummy Garlic Bread
For complete instructions, please check out the recipe card at the bottom of this post!
- Mash minced garlic and parsley into softened butter.
- Slice bread in half length-wise, spread garlic butter on each half, then slice each half into 8 pieces (16 total).
- Toast for 5 minutes.
- Cut string cheese in half.
- Pull string cheese into separate strands.
- Arrange string cheese on top of par-cooked garlic bread as the mummy’s wrappings.
- Add two black olive slices for the mummy’s eyes.
- Bake again.
- Stagger your string cheese strands in different directions to more naturally mimic how a mummy looks.
- Try to keep the black olive slices as close together as possible, as they may separate slightly as the cheese melts when baking.
- For an extra crispy garlic bread, broil a couple minutes at the end.
- I prefer salted butter, but if you’re using unsalted, adjust the amount of salt you use as needed.
Substitutions & Variations
- Gluten-Free: Use a gluten-free baguette as the base. This recipe uses a 16 ounce loaf of bread, and all ingredients are scaled to that, so if your loaf is smaller, scale back the other ingredients accordingly.
- Green Olives: If you prefer green olives over black, they work just as well for the mummy’s eyes!
- Fresh Herbs: you can absolutely substitute fresh parsley and/ or basil instead of dried parsley, you’ll just need to double the amount.
- Whole Grain: opt for a 100% whole wheat or whole grain loaf for a higher fiber, more nutrient-dense option.
Storage, Freezing, & Reheating
Leftover Halloween garlic bread can be stored in an airtight bag in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Reheat in the oven or air fryer at 350 until warmed through and crisped (about 3-5 minutes in the oven and 2-4 in the air fryer).
If you freeze, make sure you rearrange any mummy eyeballs as needed, then wrap in foil and heat in the oven at 350 for 6-8 minutes.
Supplies You’ll Need
As an Amazon affiliate, I may earn a small amount from qualifying affiliate purchases at no cost to you.
More Recipes You’ll Love
HUNGRY FOR MORE? If you tried this recipes, try leaving a star rating in the recipe card below and/ or a review in the comments! I always appreciate feedback (and everyone loves to read what variations worked well if you tried any)! You can also follow me on Pinterest or Instagram, check out my other sites, and sign up for my email list, too!
Halloween Garlic Bread (Mummy Garlic Bread!)
- 1 loaf Italian or French bread 16 ounces
- 1/2 cup salted butter softened
- 4-5 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 pieces string cheese sliced in half and pulled into strands
- 32 black olive slices
- Preheat oven to 425°F and line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Prepare garlic butter by adding softened butter, garlic, parsley, and salt to a small bowl and mash to combine.
- Slice bread in half, length-wise. Spread garlic butter on both of the cut sides of the garlic bread halves.
- Cut each half into 8 pieces, making 16 pieces total.
- Place garlic bread pieces on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut the string cheese in half and pull into strands.
- When garlic bread is out of the oven, arrange the string cheese on top of each piece as the mummy wrappings. Top with 2 black olive slices as the eyes.
- Return garlic bread to the oven and bake another 5-7 minutes. For an extra crispy garlic bread, place oven on broiler setting and broil 1-2 minutes (watch carefully so it doesn't burn!).
- Remove from oven, let cool 2 minutes, then transfer to a serving platter and enjoy!